Daily Offering

Oh Lord, I offer you today. There will be highs & lows, irritations, successes & failures. There will be sadness, happiness, good news & bad news. There will be things I can deal with and others I cannot. There will be loneliness. There will be temptations & frustrations. But whatever comes today is yours. You and I know that only your strength can see me through this day. Have patience with me. Let your strength keep me whole this day. And when today is gone, grant me peaceful rest, so that I may wake and offer you tomorrow. AMEN!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Updated: Day 2: Surgery, Day 3: Starting Recovery

I'm alive:) Good morning girlies. It's a beautiful chilly day in Omaha. Dh just took dad to the airport and when he got back, I was finally able to get in the shower. I felt so yuck...feels great to be clean. Dh just cooked me a little breakfast and now I'm enjoying coffee and writing to all of you.

Surgery day: We got to Creighton Med Center at 7:00 a.m. Honestly, I was feeling good. I wasn't really nervous at all. Compared to what I experienced in March with the emergency tube removal, this was nothing. The only thing I was really nervous about was the damn IV. Ugh...hate those. Nurse came in to get me and prep me for surgery. After prep, they told me I would be able to see dad and dh before surgery. Prep time was good. They get you all dressed up in the gown, tights (to prevent clotting and continue blood flow through legs, and a shower cap. The coolest part was the gown. On the gown there were two vacuum like holes, like where you plug in a vacuum. They plug a vacuum like tube into the hole and it blows warm air into your gown!!! This was amazing to me! Especially because I was freezing my rear off, like always. Of course you look like you are 50 lbs heavier with ginormous boobs because of all the air in the gown, but who cares....I was finally cozy. The nurse (Karen, she was wonderful!) told me that patients tend feel better when their body is warm compared to being chilly. So that was a nice treat. Then came the IV. I asked Mrs. Karen if she could possibly numb me before giving me the IV and SHE DID! Y'all I was so happy. As silly as this sounds, my stress level dropped completely. She numbed the area and the IV when right in without hurting...thank the Lord! After prep time, dad and dh came into join me for a good 30 min before surgery. Side note: Everyone is so helpful and sweet at Creighton. We had a very positive experience and everyone talked so highly of Dr. Hilgers. Right before they wheeled me back to surgery, Dr. H came in to talk to us. He is so nice. He made me laugh a few times and I remember saying to him right before he left to take care of me....he said absolutely!

2) After surgery: I remember waking up to sweet dh kissing my forehead. At first I was so out of it I thought, who is this weird person so close to my head! ha. I didn't have my contacts in so everything was a really blurry. Then I remember dad feeding me apple sauce while dh would feed me sprite. I was sooo out of it! One thing I was so pleased with was the anesthesia. I had told the nurses and the anesthetist that I got really sick last time from the anesthesia, so they gave me a patch and extra meds so that I wouldn't get sick after. That was great because not once did I feel sick. I took up the whole time in recovery. Pretty much slept the whole time unless dh or dad were trying to give me something to eat/drink to give me energy. Overall, I never felt any pain...not even gas pain because of the good meds. Then I remember them wheeling me to the car. It was over. It really wasn't that bad at all. BUT, as the nurse was wheeling me out I remember her asking if she would be seeing me again and I remember my dad immediately stepping in and changing the subject. That is when I knew something was a bit wrong. UGH!

3) When we got home and got situated in bed, I asked dh and dad to come talk with me. Dr. H had given them pictures from the surgery and I wanted to see them and hear what the outcome was. And then the tears came. I asked dad and dh if I had to come back for another surgery and they fell silent. SHIT!!!!! Excuse the language but that is what I immediately thought. I started bawling. Dh and dad were comforting me and explaining to me what Dr. H told them. Back track really quick....yesterday while we were meeting with Dr. for the first time and he was reviewing my charts and blood work, he pointed out my FSH and LH levels and how they were opposite than what they should be....therefore he had a thought that I could have PCOS. But, he said that my charts weren't showing it so we wouldn't know until after surgery. Well, that is what it is. I have stupid PCOS! UGHHHHHHHHHH! I also have endo in alot of different areas. Not much, that I know of right now, but it is scattered around in different little spots. You know what makes me soooo angry. Why the hell didn't my doctor at home know this. When she removed my tube I remember her telling all of us that everything inside looked fabulous....yeah right. Shows how much she knows!

4) So, Dh and I are about to go meet with Dr. H to watch the video on the surgery and hear the followup. I hope he can schedule be sooner than later for my next surgery. I'll update this afternoon.....

UPDATE:::
5) Just got back from follow up with Dr. H. We watched the video of my surgery and he was very thorough in his explanations of what is wrong. There is more endo than I thought....shoot, I didn't think I would have much if any but then after seeing the video, I have plenty. Amazing this was not recognized by my dr at home. Also, my ovaries are very enlarged. I do have PCOS and he is going to have to go in and to a wedge resection of both ovaries. He said once this is done, he will sow them back up and they will rid themselves of the cyst like follicles that surround the ovaries. So he will do both the endo and PCOS surgery all at once. Oh and my uterus is inflamed a bit and he thinks this is a low grade infection caused by the endo possibly. He will treat that with antibiotics for both me and dh after my next surgery.

Good news: He has rescheduled my surgery for Nov 23rd, the Tues of Thanksgiving week. Holy cow. I was thinking it wasn't going to be until Jan or so with his busy schedule but they can fit me in that week. So we will be back out here soon. That really comforted me knowing it is going to be sooner than later. I will be in hospital for 3 nights and then we will prob try to fly home that Sat to beat the Thanksgiving traffic. He did say I was to  be out of work for 4-6 weeks so this works perfectly with the teaching schedule because it goes right into the Christmas holidays so I really won't be missing as much as I would have had it been scheduled another time. Maybe it will be snowing out here....that would be a good reward for me. I love the snow and having not been around it in a while, I would love to see it then. 

Overall, I am very pleased with Dr. H and what he has discovered. I'm amazed that none of this was determined previously with my dr. at home...especially b.c it is so obvious to the human eye. After the surgery I will have to be put on meds for progesterone, antibiotics, and possibly that endo diet. I feel good about all of this now after hearing from Dr. H. I do feel the Lord in all of this. I can't imagine where we would be if it weren't for knowing about Dr. H. Also, I feel like we really aren't wasting or missing time because we wouldn't have been able to start trying right away to begin with. So, we will have to wait a little longer but not bad. Plus, hearing Dr. H's enthusiasm and his guesstimate on my chances on getting pregnant being high, I feel much better.

Going to go rest now. Oh and I still have to remain up here in Omaha through next week so that they can observe ovulation. I'm right on track with my cycle on where we thought I'd be so that is good.  Dh and I are planning on going to see a movie this afternoon. Thank you all for your support. I took pictures and will be posting them soon. Also, I have some pleasant thoughts about my experience up here outside these facts that I've been talking about. I'll share those in a later post too. 

Have any of you gone through this wedge resection surgery??? Curious to know about others experiences with this....

15 comments:

  1. Hang in there. God is not through with you yet. His path (as hard as it may seem) is the right one. Prayers and thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be blind but what did he find? Why do you need another surgery? Wedge resectioNn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear he has a plan of action. I hear there's also a PCOS diet (because I believe PCOS is related to problems metabolizing sugar - ?); I don't have PCOS (I have long been amazed that I don't have it, because I seem to have everything else, but I can't complain), but AYWH, I believe, found that it had really good results for her. (Even before she got pregnant, I mean - it helped her maintain her weight and improved her symptoms, as I recall.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, advice is not helpful and was not solicited. I honestly just wanted to make sure you knew, because I've only ever heard good results (as opposed to "well, I can only hope this is helping") from the PCOS diet. So I didn't say, because I guess I thought it goes without saying, that I am delighted to hear that you're out of surgery in one piece and feeling good. And you may be done with surgery for life by the end of 2010 - that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your situation sounds almost identical to my own. I had the same surgery you are describing in March of this year. I know I haven't been good about keeping my blog updated, but you're welcome to take a look. I can write more after I get home from work tonight.

    alive-in-hope.blogspot.com

    God bless! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling of finding out you have to come back! Although I asked my husband immediately upon waking from surgery and cried right in the recovery room.. haha.

    And I had the same thought as Misfit - the PCOS diet did wonders for my PCOS. I didn't have the wedge resection surgery though (for some reason Dr. H didn't diagnose me with PCOS despite two surgeries. I think my endo was just too bad on my ovaries to even tell possibly? I'm not sure) so maybe our situations are different. But the diet, combined with metformin, brought my lh and fsh ratio back to a normal range.

    That's great you can get in so soon. I thought Creigton was wonderful during my 3-day stay. So you're in good hands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am curious if he does talk about low carb/low G.I. Diet for PCOS, too.

    This Cross I Embrace had the wedge resection (not with Dr. H) and is a big fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just now getting caught up! Sounds like you have been given so much good information, and I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went smoothly.

    Also, I know that Faith Makes Things Possible Not Easy had the wedge resection done. Just in case you don't read her blog here is the address: http://hfamilyfun.blogspot.com/

    Praying for a good recovery for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that your surgery went well and that you are recovering! Thanks for sharing all of this information with us! I am praying for you daily!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a wedge resection also as part of my laparatomy. I won't lie to you it was really tough, but a big part of what made mine so bad was the rare infection I got afterwards. That almost never happens and without that it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. But the 6 week recovery period is definitely accurate. It's tough but it will be worth it in the end.

    Hope you enjoyed the movie and that you are enjoying my fair city! :) Can't wait to meet up with you.

    And oh girl we will make you sick of snow when you come back next month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Misfit: Thanks for saying something. I'm not really sure about this diet thing. He just mentioned it as a possibility but that he was going to let me know when I came out for my next appt/surgery in two weeks. I'll let you know!

    AllYouWhoHope: Glad to hear that PCOS diet works. That makes me feel better, esp if I have to go on it.

    Megan: Thanks for that info on that blog. Checking that out now....

    Sarah: Thanks sweetie for your encouraging words.

    Sew: Yes, wedge resection. Nervous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am similar to you ... Had to have both surgeries ... Was really upset after hearing that as well, I can SO relate! :) I have endo stage III with a cyst on my right ovary. All that was removed by Dr. Keefe. They do get you back in quickly for the second surgery ... I was glad of that, so I didn't lose my nerve! Haha. I felt pretty good at the two week mark after the surgery, but did have a small infection at one end of my incision, which is pretty much resolved. Also, a neat thing about the docs at PPVI, they have found a problem with my left thyroid gland, which I was clueless about before ... No one had ever noticed! Now I'm working on getting that resolved. I have followup to get meds / instructions on Nov 15th ... You WILL be able to get through the second surgery ... We will all pray for you! I don't have a blog ... Not much to say about me ... But I do read a lot of the Catholic Infertility blogs like yours. I hope you don't mind me commenting, but it's so nice to have a sisterhood out there who understands what we go through for a baby. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went through your experiences this time last year - wow! You will be just fine. In November I went in for the laparatomy where he found horrible endo and major bad PCOD. One ovary was BAD, the other was WORSE. I still look back at the pics and think, how did the other docs not see this? They didn't care about it. Treatment for this stuff in the secular world is IVF. Period. Or take your uterus out. Dr. H told us that if a different doc did see all this, they would have just removed my ovaries - no doubt about it. They did look alien-ish. Very scary.

    The OWR is major surgery and I agree with Hebrews - you will need the full 6 weeks. It is a rough recovery, but for me it was more rough spiritually than physically. I healed fine, I can hardly see the scar. And since then, my cycles are much better. I will never be a 28 day girl, but I'll take my 35-40 days compared to my once or twice a year pre-OWR! It was my return home, and my spiritual healing process that started my outreach for support and found these blogs, and ended with my own blog. If you haven't already, I encourage you to read it from the beginning. It starts when I was in my 6 weeks healing phase. In all: you will be okay. We are all here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad it went well and you're pleased with Dr. H! Super cool about the air in the gown. I'd love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first comment here though I have been lurking for a while. I had my right tube removed after an ectopic and my doc said my insides looked great! Two & half years after the ectopic, I still wonder if my doc was right. I sometimes wonder if I have PCOS or Endo and if it could have been easily missed. So glad to find your blog & I hope to learn more from all the Catholic blogs..

    ReplyDelete